6.09.2005

Sleep Deprivation Effects

Total sleep deprivation is fatal: lab rats denied the chance to rest die within two to three weeks.

Without adequate rest, the brain's ability to function quickly deteriorates: concentration levels drop, and memory becomes impaired. Speech becomes slurred and fragmented, and mental reaction time slows.

Without sufficient rest people become irritable and short-tempered, both with themselves and others. Loss of emotional control is possible, leading to emotional outbursts and even violence.

Muscle strength and endurance drops, in part due to lowered glucose metabolism. Appetite tends to increase with insufficient rest, leading to weight gain for some people.

Everyone has the occasional sleepless night. However, long-term sleep deprivation studies suggest that chronic insomnia increases the risk of a number of health problems, and heightens the likelihood of accidents.

So why did I post all that... after a year of sleep deprivation I feel like a new man. Carrie says I'm getting back to the man she fell in love with. So did I make the right choice in leaving my job, the answer is yes! It's only been four days and the changes are incredible. I still find it hard to sleep at night but each night it gets easier. Quality of Life over quanity... in the end I may just get both. Nuff Said

No comments: