8.02.2004

Tyson's Lastest Defeat Follows Familiar Pattern IBOP Boxing News: "HBO broadcaster Larry Merchant was an original investor in the Cloverlay Corporation. The Cloverlay Corp bank rolled Joe Frazier's career from 1965 through 1974. Merchant also covered Mike Tyson's career from his pro debut through his prime 1985-90. I once asked him to compare Frazier and Tyson. His exact response was as follows.
'Joe Frazier was a mile wide and a mile deep,' Mike Tyson is a mile wide and an inch deep.' Nothing I have ever heard or read sums up Mike Tyson's shortcomings as a fighter as profoundly as Merchant�s words.
For the record, I've always felt that Tyson was overrated at his peak by many writers and fans. If talent alone determined greatness, then Tyson is among the greats. However, talent is only a part of what determines an athlete or a fighter�s greatness. That being said, Mike Tyson is not one of the top-ten greatest Heavyweight Champions of all time. However, if excuses count, then maybe a case can be made for him?"

Being thirty six I remember watching Tyson in his prime. (or at least trying, I remember a fight in the late eighties I turned to fill my beer and the fight was over. I forget who he was fighting but it lasted 30-45 seconds only. I had paid $20 to watch the fight in a bar..... gggrrrr I was so mad) I was really pulling for Mikes come back I feel that he has had some bad turns/luck in life. Maybe next time.... and with his fame dwindling I think that he has only one or two more chances. In my humble opinion Mike needs to go back to basics and fight on some minor cards to prove to himself and his few fans that he still has a few fights left. Forget the big payouts and declare bankruptcy Mike (in case you don't know he is like $28 nmillion in debt! and broke.), maybe just maybe you can make enough then, to start over.

No comments: